Our culture of care in the Covid era
At City Lights, our culture of care is at the heart of our mission. As we create provocative live productions that engage, inspire and challenge, we also work to create a welcoming and safe space for everyone who walks through our doors.
That work includes doing what we can to protect the health and safety of our patrons, artists, staff and volunteers. Below are the main points of our latest protocols. You can also read the full Covid-19 safety plan for City Lights.
Note: These practices may change as government guidelines evolve. In addition, we may have to cancel a performance if a team member becomes ill or the pandemic worsens in our area. We’ll keep you informed. Please make sure you’re receiving City Lights emails so you won’t miss important updates.
If you’re not ready to return to live theater in a group setting, we understand. When you’re ready to come back, we’ll be here.
Before you enter the theater
- If you are feeling unwell, please stay home, and don’t worry about your tickets. We’ll be happy to exchange them for another performance, free of charge.
- Masks are recommended indoors, except for the “mask-required” performances.
- City Lights recommends but does not require the Covid vaccine.
At the box office & concessions
- We’re keeping all processes as low-touch as possible. In addition, we do not use paper tickets; you’ll check in by simply giving your name.
- Our concessions team will clean and disinfect all countertops and other surfaces as often as possible.
- We have instituted a reserved-seating system to help you feel more secure about where you’re sitting and who your neighbors will be. However, if for any reason you feel uncomfortable about your seat when you arrive, our staff will do their best to move you to another open spot, no questions asked.
- In addition, if you arrive and realize you don’t feel comfortable entering the theater, we’ll be happy to exchange your tickets for another performance at no charge, subject to availability.
Other ways we’re working for your health & safety
- Our three powerful HVAC units have been inspected by a certified HVAC industry expert. They’ve been configured to allow the maximum amount of fresh air to enter the building without compromising your comfort. In addition, we’re using the highest-grade filters recommended for our units, and all intake and outflow vents have been cleaned. Our units exceed the recommended ACH (air change index: the number of times the air is changed inside the building per hour) for our facility.
- We’re doing daily cleaning and disinfecting, from the lobby to the restrooms to the stage and house. We have electric ULV cold foggers to disinfect the upholstered seats, new touchless dispensers in the restrooms, and hand-sanitizing stations everywhere.
- Explanatory, instructional and informational signage regarding your health, safety and current health department and/or government mandates will be posted and clearly visible both inside and outside the theater.
- We’ll make non-print versions of our programs and Highlights dramaturgy guides available.
- We’ll always strive to be kind, compassionate and flexible. During this pandemic, we’ve discovered that we’re all stronger and more resilient than we thought, and also more fragile. It can never be said enough: We’re all in this together.
Our Covid-19 waiver
We ask that all patrons, when buying a ticket, check a box to acknowledge this waiver. Thank you to everyone who has been so flexible, understanding and supportive during this tough time.
By participating in in-person events and programming, you understand and acknowledge that you are voluntarily seeking and engaging in activities that increase your risk of exposure to Covid-19. Patrons and their families release City Lights Theater Company from any risk or liability associated with Covid-19 exposure and/or infection. By checking the box below, you acknowledge that you must comply with all procedures set by City Lights Theater Company to reduce the spread of Covid-19 while within CLTC buildings, property, and/or grounds.